Click here for link
Pablo Furukawa (Saturday, 26 August 2023 02:56)
1) How often do students utilize skills learned in the improvisation unit outside of class? For example, in concert performance, or in personal practice.
2) Are you targeting specific concepts or skills with the riff of the day? Or is it just a way to add helpful constraints to the improvisation practice?
3) Do percussion students get to improvise on or otherwise learn drum set, since it is also part of the jazz idiom?
Chelsea Fujitani (Monday, 21 August 2023 15:56)
1. What was the process to learn improvisation with the students? (i.e. getting them comfortable, etc.)
2. Noticing that it's only brass and percussion in this class, does the woodwind class follow the same lesson plan or its is up to the other teacher?
3. Are scale degrees taught in beginning band or introduced at the start of the Intermediate level?
Lorrie Ujimori (Monday, 21 August 2023 03:12)
That was awesome Clement!!! Thank you for sharing with us!!!
Did you teach them improv in beginning band as well? They sounded so experienced!
I am assuming you are lucky enough to have a separate Symphonic Woodwind class as well, do you do the same thing with them?
Do you have jazz band in your course offerings at your school?
Darin Ujimori (Saturday, 22 July 2023 20:49)
Great job Clement, that was so cool!
My questions are:
1) How much time and prep, leading up to the video, was needed?
2) How did you build up the background knowledge and skills needed for improv
3) How has it positively impacted the overall performance of the band, and in the long term is it something that you can see always doing every year. (in other words, was it worth the time